1 Hotel Toronto is now accepting reservations. The 112-key property will open on August 4, 2021.
It is the first location in Canada for the award-winning, nature-focused hotel brand founded by Barry Sternlicht, CEO and chairman of Starwood Capital Group. The King Street West property was acquired and redeveloped by Mohari Hospitality, a real estate investment company founded by entrepreneurial investor Mark Scheinberg. The design was developed in collaboration with SH Hotels & Resorts, a subsidiary of Starwood Capital Group, and architect and designer David Rockwell of the Rockwell Group.
“As a world-class city with globally respected sustainability programs, Toronto is an exceptional new base for 1 Hotels,” said Sternlicht. “Protecting the one planet is why we are called 1 Hotels, and this mantra fuels the spirit of each property. It is my hope that every guest visiting 1 Hotel Toronto feels encouraged to maintain that appreciation for the preservation of our planet long after their stay.”
Located at 550 Wellington Street West, in the heart of the city’s King Street West Fashion District, the hotel has 91 guestrooms and 21 suites. It also offers a variety of meeting and event options. Dedicated group spaces include the 2,976-square-foot Maple ballroom, which can accommodate up to 160 guests, and the 1,032-square-foot Chestnut ballroom (capacity: 80). Other meeting and event options include the 2,293-square-foot Flora Lounge, the Third Floor Lounge, and The Garden Pavilion, which seats 32 for dinner.
Guestrooms and public spaces share a light, airy, natural design aesthetic. They also reflect the brand’s mandate to deliver eco-luxury.
“We have long admired 1 Hotels’ sustainable and eco-friendly ethos, and we are thrilled to have been given the opportunity to design the new 1 Hotel with a biophilic emphasis,” explained David Rockwell. “Our vision for the hotel invites guests to celebrate Toronto’s ecology through materiality, program, and locally-made artwork.”
Environmentally friendly initiatives and elements at the property include:
- sustainably sourced wood furnishings, in-room plants, organic cotton linens and organic bath products
- an on-site organic composter that can reduce 12,000 pounds of organic waste to under 1,000 pounds of compost per month, which will be used to feed over 2,500 plant varietals on property and in local parks
- a Bee Hotel, designed to attract native bees and pollinators
- drink and dining venues featuring menus that emphasize local ingredients and sustainably harvested fish and proteins
- an on-site organic garden, growing more than 40 fruits and vegetables as well as herbs
1 Hotel Toronto is also home to Harriett’s Toronto by nightlife group The h.wood Group. This rooftop hotspot features an open-concept sushi bar and tailored poolside bottle service rituals.